butterfly chicken with a herby stuffing
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts
50g (2 oz) Dietary Specials brown multigrain bread
10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
2 – 3 shallots/or 1 onion - finely diced
15g (1/2 oz) pine kernels
25g (1 oz) chestnut mushrooms - chopped
Sprig of Rosemary - leaves removed and chopped
15mlsp (1 tbsp) fresh flat leaf parsley
¼ tsp Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon made up with 50ml (2fl oz) boiling water
Sea Salt and cracked black pepper
1. Preheat the oven 190°C/170°C Fan / Gas Mark 5
2. Make the stuffing: place the Dietary Specials multi-grain bread
(the crust can also be used), in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs, place in a medium bowl.
3. Heat the oil in a small frying pan and fry the shallot, pine kernels and mushrooms until soft and very lightly browned. Add to the breadcrumbs.
4. Mix the herbs into the breadcrumb mixture and bind together with the stock, season.
5. Lay out the chicken breast on a chopping board and carefully cut into the breast along one side as though filleting (DO NOT CUT RIGHT THROUGH), fold the top side back to open it up, so you have a butterfly affect.
6. Place the two cut chicken breasts on a greased baking sheet, top with the stuffing mix down the centre and finish with a sprig of rosemary.
7. Cook uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes until cooked, serve with garlic and rosemary roasted potato cubes or butternut squash mash and fresh green vegetables.
*Lemon zest or orange juice could be added to the stuffing to vary the flavour.