normandy apple tart
This is a very attractive looking dessert and absolutely delicious!
1 x 200g pack Dietary Specials Frozen Pastry
100g butter at room temperature
100g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
100g ground almonds
1 tablespoon Amaretto or Brandy
2 red skinned eating apples
Caster sugar for sprinkling
50g apricot jam, gluten free, + a little lemon juice if the jam is very dense
1. Preheat the oven 180°C/ 160°Fan/ Gas mark 4
2. To make the base: Dust the work surface with gluten free white mix and knead the defrosted pastry for 1 – 2 minutes until pliable, roll out onto a circle to fit base and edges of a 20cm loose bottomed flan dish, chill while you make the frangipane.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl, gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
4. Add the Amaretto or Brandy, stir in the ground almonds and cornflour and pour the frangipane over the biscuit base, spreading it evenly.
5. Half the apples vertically and core, slice them crosswise into thin slices and place over the frangipane slightly over lapping each one. Press down lightly.
6. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 25 - 30 minutes until the frangipane is set. Remove from the oven and sprinkle caster sugar over the apples, replace into the oven and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes.
7. Cool in tin, remove and place on a baking sheet. Before serving warm the apricot jam and brush over the apples to glaze, the tart is best served warm with cream or Greek yogurt.