simple tomato bruschetta on ciabatta
Using plum tomatoes for this recipe gives extra flavour and creates a very simple light lunch or starter with a fresh taste, The DS-gluten free White Ciabatta Rolls
are the perfect base.
Suitable for people diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, those who are suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance.
2 DS-gluten free White Ciabatta Rolls
325-350g ripe tomatoes, preferably plum
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
8-10 fresh basil leaves, finely torn or 2 tbsp fresh oregano, roughly chopped
Pinch of sugar
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1. Place the tomatoes in a large bowl, pierce the skin of each tomato and pour over boiling water. Leave for 2 minutes until the skins have slightly cracked, then pour off the water and remove the skins. Once the tomatoes are peeled, cut them in half and remove the seeds and the stem area.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C/190-200°C Fan/ Gas Mark 7.
3. Slice each roll into 4 thick slices. Place 3 tbsp of olive oil and 1/2 the garlic into a small bowl and coat one side of each slice with a pastry brush. Place on a baking sheet, olive oil side down. Place in the oven and cook for 5-6 minutes, untill the bread just begins to turn golden brown.
4. Meanwhile chop up the tomatoes finely. Place in a bowl and add the remaining garlic and olive oil, along with the vinegar. Add the torn basil or chopped oregano, a pinch of sugar and seasoning and mix well.
5. To serve place the roll slices on a plate(s), olive oil side up, and add the tomato topping. Top just before serving or the bread may get soggy.