Gluten free recipe for a fabulous hearty soup that can be made using those leftover dinner veggies and the DS-gluten free fusilli pasta.
Suitable for people diagnosed with coeliac disease, those who are suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance.
300g cooked root veg ( carrots, potatoes, turnip, swede) diced
175g cooked greens (cabbage, spinach, green beans, leeks)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium red onions, peeled and diced
2 sticks celery, diced
2 small cloves garlic, crushed
75g bacon (2 rashers) cut into pieces or lardons could be used (optional)
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 litres of either fresh chicken stock or gluten free chicken stock made from cubes or powder
1 bay leaf
2 basil stalks, remove leaves and tear into soup
400g can cannellini beans, drained
85g DS pasta - Fusilli
which is broken into small lengths
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and celery and fry for 2 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and bacon pieces and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and basil, bring to the boil and simmer gently, covered for 30 minutes
4. Tip in the beans, cooked root vegetables and the dry pasta, return to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, adding the cooked greens for the final 2 minutes.
5. Season to taste. Serve in warm soup bowls with plenty of parmesan.