baked cannelloni with minced pork
A traditional Italian pasta dish.
Suitable for people diagnosed with coeliac disease, those who are suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance.
8 DS-gluten free Lasagne sheets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g minced pork
2 slices DS-gluten free loaf
made into breadcrumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp grated nutmeg
1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
25g Parmesan, grated
2 tbsp dry white wine or gluten free vegetable stock
1 medium egg, beaten
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
Basil leaves, from 3 stalks
400g canned chopped tomatoes
50 ml white wine or gluten free vegetable stock
2 tbsp tomato puree
Cracked black pepper
150ml double cream
50g Parmesan or Fontina cheese, grated
1. In a large pan of boiling salted water par cook the lasagne sheets, add 3 sheets at a time to the pan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, stirring occasionally before removing and placing in a large bowl of cold water. Keep in the water while you prepare the filling.
2. For the filling: In a large pan heat the oil and add the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until soft and lightly browned, then add the mince and cook until the redness has gone out of the meat. Cool for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile prepare the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan heat the oil, add the chopped onion and cook until soft. Then add the oregano, torn basil leaves and cracked pepper and mix well. Add tomatoes wine or stock and tomato puree, stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In a mixing bowl combine together the mince, breadcrumbs, oregano, nutmeg, parsley and seasoning and then add the wine and egg which will bind everything together.
5. Preheat the oven 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
6. Spread the lasagne sheets onto kitchen paper. Spoon 4 tbsp of the filling just off centre of one sheet and roll to enclose the filling. Transfer the cannelloni seam side down into a well buttered baking dish. Repeat with the remaining Lasagne sheets and filling, arranging in the dish in a single layer.
7. In a small bowl mix together the double cream and cheese.
8. Top the cannelloni with the tomato sauce and spoon the cream mix down the centre.
9. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the cheese is brown and the dish is bubbling.
10. Serve garnished with basil leaves and it is also delicious accompanied by DS gluten free Garlic Tear and Share Bread.