Gluten free Scotch Eggs, ideal for a picnic or packed lunches.
Suitable for people diagnosed with coeliac disease, those who are suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance.
100g DS-gluten free White Sliced Loaf, made into breadcrumbs
4 small or medium eggs
225g gluten free sausage meat or sausages, de-skinned
Gluten free flour mix for dusting
1 small egg, beaten
Oil for pan frying
½ tsp mixed herbs (optional)
1. Hard boil the eggs by covering them in cold water, bringing it to the boil, simmering gently for 5 minutes and cooling them under cold running water.
2. Shell the cooled eggs and coat each one with the gluten free flour mix.
3. Mix the sausage meat with the herbs and seasoning. Divide into four portions and pat each piece out on a floured surface to a shape roughly 7 inches x 3 inches (18cm x 7.5cm).
4. Place an egg in the centre of each piece and carefully gather up the sausage meat to cover the egg completely. Smooth and pat into shape all over. Next coat them one by one, first in the beaten egg and then thoroughly and evenly in the breadcrumbs.
5. Now heat 1½ inches (4cm) of oil in a deep frying pan or deep fat fryer up to a temperature 180 –190°C. (If you do not have a deep fat fryer or thermometer, you can easily test the temperature by frying a small cube of gluten-free bread. If it turns golden brown within 1 minute, the oil is hot enough). Put the eggs into the oil and fry for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently until they have turned a nice golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper.