stuffed peppers with a crunchy nut topping
The DS-gluten free Multigrain Bread is perfect for the topping!
Suitable for people diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, those who are suffering from a gluten and wheat allergy or intolerance.
2 medium - large sized peppers, cut in half and deseeded
15mlsp (1tbsp) olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
40g (1 ½ oz) rice
5mlsp (1 tsp) mixed herbs
200g (7 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
200g (7oz) tin tuna in brine or spring water
2 slices DS-gluten free Multigrain Bread
made into breadcrumbs, the crusts can be left on.
10-15g (1/2 oz) pecan nuts or walnuts, chopped
25g (1oz) cheddar cheese, grated
1. Place the oil in a saucepan over a high heat, add the chopped onion and garlic and fry until the onion is lightly brown.
2. Add the rice and mixed herbs, fry for 30 seconds and then add the chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a simmer until the rice is cooked, approximately 15 minutes. Add a little water if the mixture becomes too dry.
3. Drain the tuna and add to the rice mixture and season to taste.
4. Preheat the oven 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5
5. Place the peppers in an ovenproof dish; fill each halved pepper with the filling. Cover and place in the oven. Cook for approximately 40 minutes or until the peppers are soft.
6. Meanwhile make the topping: place the DS Multigrain
breadcrumbs in a small bowl; add the chopped nuts and half the grated cheese.
7. Divide the breadcrumb topping between the peppers and return the dish to the oven, uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and top the peppers with the remaining cheese, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.